The number of people using mobile devices has increased year on year and continues to grow. While this is great news for staying connected to everyone and everything, looking down at mobile phones, tablets and laptops too often and for long periods can have a negative impact on our neck and spine.
There is no need to shun technology all together. Here are some helpful tips to help keep your spine happy when using your mobile device:
- Take a break from your phone. It is easy to forget so set an alarm on your phone as a reminder.
- Raise your phone so that it’s closer to eye level. This way you won’t have to tilt your head forward and strain your neck.
- Stretch your neck from time to time. If you’re not sure which stretches can help improve your spinal health, the 3-minute stretching program on the Straighten Up app is designed to do just that.
- Work on your posture. It is important to work on a maintaining a good posture. Being mindful about this will contribute greatly to your spinal health. The Straighten Up app has an in-built reminder function to help you manage your posture.
- Stay fit and active – a strong back and neck are better equipped to handle stress. Incorporate exercise into your daily routine to strengthen back and core muscles.
Prevention is definitely better than cure so be mindful about the effects of ‘text neck’. These simple steps to improve your spinal health may enhance overall wellbeing and quality of life as well.
Your local ACA chiropractor can provide you with advice and assistance on maintaining your spinal health and overall wellbeing. To find your local ACA chiropractor visit findachiro.org.au