About Back to School
While most parents and children have a checklist of stationery and supplies for starting the school year, the Australian Chiropractors Association are providing parents and children with a ‘Back to School Health Checklist.’ The checklist, is a great way to remind kids of the importance of building healthy habits in school, are simple to incorporate and easily fit into a child’s everyday routine.
So while the country prepares to go back to school, try and get your kids to check off these essential back to school items.
- Only packing essentials to lessen the load, perhaps use school lockers if available.
- Packing the heaviest items closest to the spine and make sure all zippers are done up all the way.
- Securing the sternum and waist straps (they’re there for a reason).
- Always wearing both straps. Tell the kids it’s not cool to ‘one-strap it’ anymore.
- Reducing the time spent wearing the backpack to no more than 30 minutes at any one time.
See the backpack that has our tick of approval, the Spartan Chiropak II.Find a Chiro
Kids spend a large chunk of their day sitting down at desks, so it’s important that they maintain good posture.
Here are some guidelines for good posture when sitting at a desk. It can be difficult to follow these suggestions at all times but after you try you will develop better habits.
- Head position – Head in neutral position (or slightly forward) and head is in line with the torso;
- Back supported by chair – Sitting up straight with back supported;
- Elbow position – Elbows are close to body; angle is open about 90-120 degrees;
- Knee position – Knees at about 90 degrees;
- Legs – Legs are not crossed;
- Feet – Feet are flat on the floor.
Screens, computers and smart devices are commonly used in classrooms for learning purposes these days.
It is important to monitor the recreational screen time and try and reduce this to two hours a day, or at least maintain a balance between screen activities and non-screen related activities.
Maintaining a nutritious diet is important at any age, but especially for growing and developing children.
Eating a balanced, healthy diet filled with lots of fruit, veggies and water is essential to keeping kids alert in the classroom and active in the playground.
Participating in physical activity in school, at home or part of a weekend sporting club is key for a child’s health and wellbeing.
As a guide, kids should be getting at least 60 minutes of physical activity everyday.
These are key to helping children practise positive health habits, not just for the back to school season but all year round! If you’re concerned about your child’s spine or any other back to school related activities book an appointment today with you local ACA chiropractor.
They can provide advice and assistance on getting back to school ready, including how to maintain spinal health and overall wellbeing.
The ACA together with Spartan and Macquarie University (NSW), joined forces to research and develop the ‘Chiropak’.
This durable, functional and comfortable backpack is proven to reduce the incidence and severity of neck and back pain associated with the carriage of heavy loads.
Find out more visit Spartan.
Straighten Up App
Visit your local ACA chiropractor to pick up the AR card, download the Straighten Up app, scan the card and watch the character come to life.Download the App!
Consult a Chiro
Pick up your complimentary Back to School Health Checklist from your local ACA chiropractor, and if you are concerned about your child’s spine or any other back to school related activities, visit findachiro.org.au to book an appointment today.Find a Chiro