Christmas is almost here! From end of year feasts to catching up with friends, family gatherings and a little R&R, this can be a busy time for many of us and may not leave much room for thinking about our spinal health.
As the festive season can involve sitting for long periods, a lack of physical activity or extensive household work like cooking or cleaning, these can have an impact on your health and wellbeing.
Here are some helpful spinal health tips and tools to remember this festive season:
- If you’re finding it hard to exercise during this time, take advantage of the great weather and set a goal to walk 10,000 steps a day. Walking can keep your health on track and help improve your posture and overall spinal health.
- Christmas can be a very busy time with putting up the tree, hanging decorations or cooking up a feast, which can all put strain on your body, especially your spine. You don’t need to do all these tasks at once, or by yourself, so be sure to ask for help and take frequent breaks.
- Wrapped a present that’s a little too heavy? Make sure to carry heavy items in a spine safe way by keeping the item as close to your body as you can. When space permits bend at the knees instead of the waist to lessen the strain on your back, use both hands and slowly stand up.
- With more and more time being spent looking down at phones, this can put strain on your neck and spine. Christmas is a time to be social and catch up with friends and family, so when at a festive event why not have a ‘no phone’ policy, giving you a much-needed break from technology.
- Take a few minutes out of your busy day to complete the three-minute exercise program on the Straighten Up app, which is designed to improve your spinal health, stabilise core muscle groups and enhance your overall health.
Why not use the Straighten Up app to set reminders and receive notifications about sitting right, stretching, improving posture and staying hydrated. You can also download our Just Start Walking app which allows you to experience the benefits of walking by tracking and mapping your walks so you can monitor your progress.
Just remember to gift your spine with a little TLC this Christmas season by downloading the ACA’s apps. Your local ACA chiropractor can also provide advice and assistance on improving your spinal health and wellbeing. Find your local ACA chiropractor at findachiro.org.au