Most of us can do it and you don’t need a membership to sign up to this lifetime club. You know it, you love it, and you do it every day… it’s walking!
We’ve talked a lot about walking, especially this year, but that’s because we want to stress how great it is, not only for your spinal health, but overall fitness and wellbeing.
Just 30 minutes a day of brisk walking can increase your cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness, reduce your risk of heart disease, increase your muscle strength and endurance, and improve your spinal health.
Here are some tips and tricks for first time brisk walkers:
- Pick a time in the day and schedule it in, like you would an appointment, that way it’s a priority and not an option.
- Make sure the time works best for you, whether it’s in the morning before the day starts, or after work to get moving after a long day. Walking works around your schedule.
- Tying walking into your lunch break is a great way to have a midday unwind and have some time to yourself.
- Grab a walking buddy! Haven’t seen your best friend in while? Lock in a time to walk and talk so you can catch up while working out.
- Set goals! Start with 10,000 steps a day and when you start to hit those with ease move to 15,000 and so on.
- Make sure to be sun smart by staying hydrated, appropriate sun protective clothing, a hat and sunscreen.
- Download the Just Start Walking app! The app allows you to track and map walk, and track your goals so you can stay motivated and see your progress!
Extra challenge: Test yourself by ignoring your phone for the duration of the walk. That way you can practice good posture, as well as avoid the dreaded ‘text neck’ pain caused from looking down, and open your eyes to the world around you.
So what are you waiting for? Step outside and smell the roses (literally!) and start walking your way to a healthier life.
For more information on maintaining a healthy spine, and to find an ACA chiropractor near you visit findachiro.org.au