International Men’s Day (IMD) is celebrated on 19 November every year and is marked in around 80 countries worldwide. The theme for IMD 2023 is Healthy Men Healthy World!
IMD is an opportunity to celebrate men and boys in all their diversity. Many people also use the day to highlight some of the key social issues that men and boys around the world face. In Australia, these ‘men’s issues’ include the fact that:
- 3 out of 4 suicides are men;
- 2 out of 3 violent deaths are men;
- Men die 6 years younger than women on average;
- Boys underperform girls at every stage of education;
- Dads who want to be more involved in their children’s lives face a range of barriers.
Despite the overwhelming evidence that men and boys face a range of issues related to their physical, mental and social health and wellbeing, many people still persist in promoting a range of rigid gender stereotypes and clichés like:
- ‘Man Up’;
- ‘Boys don’t cry’;
- ‘Men and boys don’t need help’ and
- ‘Every day is International Men’s Day’.
Is International Men’s Day really for everyone?
Everyone is welcome to celebrate International Men’s Day on Sunday 19 November 2023.
International Men’s Day recognises that there are a broad variety of laws, values and viewpoints around the world that affect men and boys in different countries, in different ways. There is also a diversity of opinions about those laws, values and viewpoints, which are held by people of different genders and gender identities throughout the world.
International Men’s Day places a focus on that which unites humanity, giving everyone who wants to celebrate International Men’s Day the opportunity to work together towards the day’s six key objectives, which apply equally to all males irrespective of their age, ability, social background, legal status, race, beliefs, sexual orientation or gender identity.
It doesn’t matter who you are, every individual is free to celebrate International Men’s Day.
How to take part in International Men’s Day
- You can set up an event yourself and promote it on the IMD calendar at www.internationalmensday.info/events;
- You can use the IMD events calendar to find an event to attend;
- You can use some of the IMD resources to get involved in the International Men’s Day conversation online www.internationalmensday.info/get_involved;
- You can give a talk about men using the Know Your Man Facts presentation toolkits www.internationalmensday.info/get_involved.
Don’t forget there are also hundreds of men’s groups in Australia that meet weekly or monthly from Men’s Sheds to Men’s Walk and Talk Groups.
For more information on International Men’s Day visit: www.internationalmensday.info/
#IMD23 #HealthyMen #InternationalMensDay2023