Chiropractic is a drug and surgery free modality of treatment concerned with the diagnosis, management and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system (spine); this includes the effects of these disorders on the function of the nervous system and general health.
Chiropractors focus on the detection and correction of abnormal spinal function and its subsequent effect on how the nervous system controls and coordinates the body. Chiropractors in Australia are nationally registered and regulated healthcare professionals.
Personal requirements for a chiropractor
- Enjoy health sciences;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to perform fine manual tasks;
- Able to think and work independently;
- Strong analytical ability.
Why do people choose chiropractic as a career?
One of the most powerful motivations for entering the chiropractic profession is to make a difference in your community by improving patients’ wellbeing.
People frequently choose the field of chiropractic because they love the idea of helping people achieve health naturally.
Education and training for a chiropractor
To become a practising chiropractor in Australia, you need to complete five years of study. First, complete an accredited bachelor’s degree in Health Science, followed by a two-year Master of Clinical Chiropractic. The name of degree may vary slightly depending on the university/college.
- Complete a Bachelor of Chiropractic Science;
- Complete a Master of Clinical Chiropractic;
- After completing your study, you need to achieve Ahpra registration via the application process, including mandatory Continued Professional Development (CPD).
- Once achieved, registration must be renewed each year, demonstrating the mandatory CPD each year. CPD includes training courses and seminars which update and develop your knowledge of chiropractic.
Studying chiropractic in Australia
Currently there are four universities and one college in Australia that have chiropractic degree programs. For more information and how to enroll click here.